Sunday, October 30, 2005

Brief Thoughts on the Indictment

Like many of you, I've read through a wide array of reaction pieces to Libby's indictment. Not surprisingly, I find myself disagreeing with two schools of thought:

1.) That Friday's news was a grand disappointment, since Rove appears to have gotten away clean.

2.) That the absence of IIPA/Espionage Act charges prove no "serious" crimes were committed.

Instead, I agree with theory #3 that's been proposed: That the charges against Libby are, effectively, leverage. The White House doesn't want a trial, to be sure. And the discovery/deposition process will only lead to more questions that will in turn, likely lead either to more indictments or a full-color unraveling of the administration's manipulation and falsification of intelligence. Fitzgerald knows this, the administration knows this. As such, the indictments against Libby are a vice with which to squeeze out the big-picture details of Who-What-When-Why. Libby is bait, pure and simple.

Heeeeeere fishy fishy fishy....

3 comments:

Lew Scannon said...

My theory is that Scooter is being set up to be the fall guy, that the IIPA/Espionage act was just a cover up of the real crime, US Code Title 18 Section 793 & 794 which states anyone who outs any undercover agent is subject to the death penalty or life imprisonment. I don't expect any more to come from this investigation, just a lot of smoke and mirrors. I like Scooter's response: "I didn't know!" Yeah, right, buddy, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Cantankerous Bitch said...

I suppose anything's possible, but I'm fairly confident that the administration will do just about anything to keep Cheney from testifying. The devil'll be in the deal-making...

Lily said...

The devil is in the details, but America will have none of that stuff.