Monday, November 21, 2005

Geek Joy

Just a tardy mention for your belated enjoyment:

I really sucked at chemistry as a kid. It was the math. Never could get my head around it. And as a result, after two tear-filled weeks in chemistry class, I gleefully transferred out to a benign and far more understandable earth-science class instead.

While I never mourned the loss much, every once in a while I'm reminded of just how shockingly much I don't know. The up side is that when I go poking around in various science-related sites, I'm like a little kid again, gasping with awe and wonder.

In hunting for a graphic for this site, I fell across this place. Not only does it provide some rudimentary explanations that I found, in some cases, fascinating, but it also has some dazzlingly wonderful graphics that are worth the visit alone.

So, for the geek that lurks below your surface, enjoy.

2 comments:

MAL said...

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed it very much, and my science background is so bad, I wasn't sure if the beautiful periodic table was real or fake.

Cantankerous Bitch said...

LOL I did some serious head scratching toward the end, there. I'm so clueless, I'd been working on the assumption that the periodic table consisted ONLY of things you can dig up from the ground and suck out of the air. Imagine my surprise reading that "Blingblingium" results when "Whachacallitium" is hurled at the speed of light at "Whateverium". Huh?? So THAT'S what particle accelerators are for? Who knew?

Always happy to have a new reader around here, MAH. Welcome.