Sunday, September 25, 2005

Hurricane....Vince?

Realizing that hurricane season ain't over yet, I checked into Weather.com to see what, if anything, is currently brewing in the Atlantic. Happily, their answer was "not much".

Since I'm sitting here waiting for West Wing to start, I wandered around the page a bit and followed the "How Hurricanes Are Named" link. Slightly interesting information, if only for trivia's sake. I'd heard that names of particularly devastating storms are permanently retired, but didn't realize the list of names used in any year is pre-selected.

Here's 2005's crop:
Arlene
Bret
Cindy
Dennis
Emily
Franklin
Gert
Harvey
Irene
Jose
Katrina
Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
Philippe
Rita
Stan
Tammy
Vince
Wilma

Ok, well... My husband and I used to have a roommate named Stan, so that one tickled me just a little. "Hurricane Tammy" seems innocuous enough. "Hurricane Wilma" sounds like a real ball-breaker, so let's hope I'm wrong on that account.

But "Hurricane Vince"? I'm not sure why, and maybe it's just me, but that one makes me snicker. While I sincerely mean no disrespect to people of Italian ancestry, I can't escape images of a slightly furry chest, little hairs poking out of the tank top neckline, the gold horn on the thick chain, a cloud of cloying cologne, and hearing colorful language like "Yous guys".

I think these storms are really making me punchy. Either that or I've finally gone over the edge. If my entries start to sound like postcards, I guess you'll have the answer.

The weather is here. Wish you were beautiful.

1 comment:

Lily said...

You are punchy and clearly I am verbose. (wink) We love you anyway. Wilma.